Home Insurance

Compare Cheap Home Insurance Quotes

  • Compare up to 50 insurers
  • Find a great deal today
  • Protect your home and belongings
Get Quotes

Compare cheap quotes from up to 50 UK home insurers, including;

  • more-than-logo
  • endsleigh-logo
  • rac-logo
  • axa-logo
  • ageas-logo
  • admiral-logo
  • swinton-logo

Why Compare Home Insurance Quotes With SimplyQuote

With SimplyQuote, you can compare home insurance quotes from over 50 trusted insurers, anywhere, anytime. No queues, no admin, no fuss. Protect your home and belongings with just a click of a button.

How to get a home insurance quote?

  1. Fill in the form: Tell us more about your home contents, occupancy, and security.
  2. Choose policy add-ons: Add extra cover options for premium protection.
  3. Compare costs: Find a quote that fits your budget.
  4. Save money: Get the best deal tailored to your needs.

Who Needs Home Insurance?

Home insurance shouldn’t be thought of as a luxury expense, but rather an essential investment. If the worst happens to your home, you won’t be left financially vulnerable if you have a home insurance policy in place. If you are a homeowner, your cover will also protect you in case anything goes wrong after moving to a new home.

You should consider getting home insurance if you fall into any of these categories:


If you are renting residential property, you’ll be glad to know that your landlord is responsible for taking out a buildings insurance policy. However, you might still want to protect your personal belongings against damage or theft with contents insurance.


As a homeowner, you are responsible for protecting your house and personal possessions residing inside it. Combined buildings and contents insurance is the best option if you are looking for more value for your money.


If you are a landlord, it’s best to have your finger on the pulse when it comes to insurance cover. As the property owner, you are responsible for insuring the building. If you are renting out a furnished property, you are also responsible for protecting your personal possessions against damage and theft.


As a student living in shared accommodation or a rented property, you might want to consider insuring your personal property. Consider asking your parents to include your property on their home insurance policy and be sure to read the fine print to stay mindful of any policy limits or restrictions.

Holiday property owner

If you own a holiday home or Airbnb, you’ll typically need to specify how many days a year your property will be occupied when taking out an insurance policy. This policy is referred to as host insurance and is reserved for homeowners who rent out residential property on a short-term basis.

Looking for the cheapest Home Insurance? Get your quote today!

Get Quotes

What Does Home Insurance Cover?

Get Quotes

Which Type Of Home Insurance Cover Do I Need?

The level of home insurance cover you get will depend on what type of cover you need, the value of your home, and whether or not you have children. You should keep in mind that the more protection you require, the more costly your home insurance will be.

For instance, if your property and property contents are expensive, it will be costly to repair in case of extreme accidental damage. These facts are taken into consideration when calculating your monthly premiums.

We recommend getting both contents and buildings insurance if you want to protect your home and personal possessions against any type of threat. However, if you aren’t keen on getting both, it’s best to compare the advantages and disadvantages of your prospective contents and buildings insurance policies.


Contents Insurance

If you own any personal belongings that you would like to insure, then contents insurance is a must-have. This type of home insurance will protect your valuables against theft and accidental damage and will cover any repair or replacement cost if the worst were to happen.

What’s typically covered:

  • Home furnishings: Sheets, carpets, curtains, cloths and cushions
  • Furniture: Chairs, tables, drawers, and beds
  • Electrical equipment: TVs, radios, consoles, PCs, and laptops
  • Kitchen utensils and cutlery: Pans, pots, utensils, and cutlery
  • Entertainment: Books, games, and music records
  • And more: Ask your insurance provider for a detailed list of covered items

What’s typically not covered:

  • Artwork: Sculptures and paintings
  • Antiques: Could include antique ornaments, furniture, or artwork
  • Bikes
  • Personal items away from your home: For instance, when your mobile phone gets stolen at the supermarket

Be sure to check in with your insurance provider to establish what exactly your contents insurance policy covers. You may be able to negotiate more lenient terms or find an option that covers exactly what you need.

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing the building structure of your house in case it gets accidentally damaged through an unforeseen event. If you are a homeowner, the terms and conditions of your mortgage contract may list buildings insurance as a requirement. However, it’s still a great idea to invest in buildings insurance even if you are not contractually obligated to do so.

Covered structures included in a buildings insurance plan:

  • Walls: Internal and external
  • Roof: Structural damage and damage to tiles, fittings and accessories
  • Ceilings: Structural damage and ceiling replacement
  • Doors: Structural damage as well as damaged locks
  • Windows: Structural damage as well as damaged glass and window locks
  • Floors: Carpets, tiles, and wooden floors

Some plans will cover certain external structures, such as your greenhouse or garage, but it’s not a given and will have to be confirmed with your home insurance provider.

Combined buildings and contents insurance

If you are about to purchase your first home or are currently a homeowner, it would be best to take out a home insurance policy that combines both buildings and contents insurance. This will provide solid protection against the elements, accidental damage, and theft. Additionally, it will ensure you have a financial fallback if you do need to cover any repair or rebuilding costs. 

Advantages of a combined home insurance policy:

  • Full protection: Covers the interior and exterior of your home.
  • More affordable: It’s normally more affordable than buying buildings and contents insurance separately.
  • Less admin: One policy equals less paperwork in case of repairs or replacements.

Looking for the cheapest Home Insurance? Get your quote today!

Get Quotes

Do I Need Specialist Home Insurance?

If you live in a listed building or leave your property unoccupied for long periods, a standard home insurance policy may not be the right fit for you. Depending on your situation, it might be beneficial to consider the following specialist home insurance options.

Listed building insurance

Listed building insurance covers buildings that have immense architectural or historical value. If you live in a listed building, you are probably aware of how costly repairs can be. This is because these buildings are commonly built with specialist materials that are expensive to replace and usually need expert tradespeople to oversee the repairs.

Unoccupied property insurance

Unoccupied property insurance covers your home if you won’t be there for more than 1 or 2 months at a time. This specialist cover is ideal if you have recently inherited a new home that you won’t be occupying, are going on an extended trip, or are moving to a new home.

Non-standard property insurance

If your property doesn’t conform to normal building standards, then non-standard property insurance might be for you. It will cover your home when built from scratch or if it has a thatched roof. You can also get this cover if you or someone who lives with you has a criminal record.

Temporary home insurance

If you won’t be home because of renovations or a planned holiday trip, it might be worth your while to get temporary home insurance. This policy is usually taken out when you won’t be home for short durations and if your standard home insurance policy doesn’t cover these types of situations.

SimplyQuote is all about making home insurance easy and affordable

Home Insurance Add-Ons To Consider

Although most combined contents and buildings insurance policies are quite comprehensive, some items aren’t included in standard policies and cost extra to insure.

Home emergency cover

Emergencies happen; the important thing is to be prepared for them. Whether you have to fix a burst pipe or repair a broken boiler, home emergency cover will ensure you get the help you need, when you need it most.

Accidental damage cover

Accidental damage has a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. That’s why being financially prepared is the best way to go. Thankfully, with accidental damage cover, you will always be able to afford quick repairs or replacements when accidents strike.

Personal belongings cover

Personal belongings or personal possessions cover protects items that you carry around with you every day or wear when going out. It’s usually included in contents insurance and will help you to replace or repair your personal items in case of theft or accidental damage.

Alternative accommodation cover

If your house is accidentally damaged and in need of massive repairs, alternative accommodation cover comes in handy. This type of insurance covers the costs of living elsewhere while the repair work is underway.

Legal expenses cover

Although liability cover is usually included as standard when taking out a home insurance policy, legal expenses cover is not.

Bicycle off-property cover

If you are concerned about your bicycle getting damaged or stolen while not on your property, then bicycle cover is a great insurance add-on to consider.

Locks and keys cover

Locked out? Don’t fret. With this policy, you’ll be able to replace both lost or stolen keys and get new locks if necessary without having to worry about the financial repercussions. Locks and keys cover usually also fronts the cost of locksmith services up to a certain value.

How Much Does Home Insurance Cost?

Insurance TypeAverage Annual Cost (£)
Contents Insurance£67
Buildings Insurance£158
Combined Buildings and Contents Insurance£163

What Factors Affect The Cost Of Home Insurance?

Looking for the cheapest Home Insurance? Get your quote today!

Get Quotes

How To Save Money On House Insurance Costs

Here are some easy things you can do to help bring the price down on your annual home insurance costs.


Ensure your home is safe and secure by installing a burglar alarm and investing in high-quality door locks that meet the latest standards of the British Standards Institution.


Evaluate if every optional insurance item on your plan is truly necessary.

Building materials

If you are building your own house, be mindful of the building materials you use as non-typical building materials can be more costly to insure.


When buying a home, choose an area with lower crime rates and risks of flooding, as these factors can increase the cost of your home insurance.

Property age

When considering where to live, consider how old the property is. Older homes could have outdated electrical wiring and plumbing which are costly to replace and insure.

Combined policy

Taking out a combined contents and buildings insurance plan is usually cheaper than purchasing separate policies.

Annual payments

Try to pay your home insurance premiums annually as monthly instalments are usually more expensive due to admin fees.

Review your plan

Always review your existing insurance policy annually to ensure you are getting the most value for your money.

When Is The Best Time To Purchase Home Insurance Cover?

The best time to purchase home insurance cover would be three weeks before your current home insurance plan’s renewal date or three weeks before you move into a new residential property. You can typically save up to 20% on your home insurance policy if you don’t rush the process.

In some cases, insurance companies will even allow you to sign off on an insurance policy three months before your annual renewal date. The sooner you purchase home insurance, the better, and the more time you’ll have to compare quotes and choose the best deal.

Get Quotes

Frequently Asked Questions

What is home insurance?

Home insurance covers your residence against all sorts of calamities and includes both buildings and contents insurance. Buildings insurance covers the bricks and mortar of your home in case of floods, fires, or any other disaster that damages your home’s structural integrity. Contents insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing possessions in your home in case they get damaged, destroyed, or stolen.

Is home insurance a legal requirement?

Although home insurance isn’t legally required when renting a home, mortgage lenders often make it a contractual requirement to at least buy buildings insurance when purchasing a property. For complete financial protection and peace of mind, a combined policy, including buildings and contents insurance, is your best bet.

Can I choose how much excess I want to pay for home insurance?

In short, yes. When taking out a home insurance policy, you’ll have to pay two kinds of excesses (compulsory and voluntary) if you were to claim. You can’t change the amount of your compulsory excess as it’s determined by your insurance provider. However, you can increase or decrease your voluntary excess. The higher your voluntary excess is, the more money you’ll save on your monthly premiums.

Does my credit score affect home insurance?

A great credit score indicates financial trustworthiness and will make it easier for you to get cheaper cover. A low credit score can increase your monthly premiums, and depending on your situation, your insurance company may also require you to pay your insurance premiums annually.