Self-Employed Courier Insurance

Compare Self-Employed Courier Insurance Quotes

  • Complete one short form
  • Quickly compare quotes
  • Find a great deal today
Get Quotes

Compare Self-Employed Courier Insurance Quotes from top UK’s leading insurers including;

  • more-than-logo
  • endsleigh-logo
  • rac-logo
  • axa-logo
  • ageas-logo
  • admiral-logo
  • swinton-logo

Why Compare Self-Employed Courier Insurance at SimplyQuote

Being a courier is not easy, even on a good day. But being a self-employed courier is even harder! There are so many variables that could go wrong in your day that can impact your livelihood; from peak-hour traffic delaying your deliveries to the increased risk of being in an accident – the list is pretty endless!

SimplyQuote understands this and has designed the free, online comparison tool with you in mind. Quickly find cheaper courier insurance that’s best suited to your business, whether you’re a part- or full-time driver and start saving on your premiums today!

What Do You Need To Get A Quote?

Why Do You Need Self-Employed Courier Insurance?

What Does Self-Employed Courier Insurance Cover?

What Type Of Self-Employed Courier Insurance Is Available In The UK?

There are several types of hire and reward insurance policies in the UK. Finding the right cover that suits your business needs is vital to ensure you receive the correct cover.

Standard courier insurance

is recommended if you make multiple deliveries to multiple locations, like an Amazon driver.

Transit insurance

is recommended if you make single, long trips to one address like a furniture-hauling driver. It’s also called haulage insurance.

Food courier insurance

is recommended if you deliver food (e.g. Uber Eats) as your main source of income.

Van courier insurance

is recommended if your main mode of transport is delivery vans (you can’t drive different vehicles interchangeably when delivering goods).

Temporary courier van insurance

offers short-term insurance cover for vans up to 3.5 tonnes and is available hourly, daily or weekly.

Pay-as-you-go insurance

is recommended if you’re a part-time delivery driver (e.g. students working periodically during holiday times)

Annual courier insurance

is recommended if you offer a full-time delivery service (i.e. your main source of income).

Note: Haulage insurance covers large deliveries to a single address whereas courier insurance covers multiple deliveries to multiple addresses.

What Levels Of Self-Employed Courier Insurance Can You Get?

As with any standard motor vehicle insurance policy, self-employed delivery drivers can choose between three main levels of cover:

  1. Third-party only (TPO)
  2. Third-party, fire and theft (TPFT)
  3. Comprehensive cover


  • The most basic level of cover.
  • A legal requirement to drive on UK roads.
  • Only covers third-party persons/property/vehicles in the event of an accident. For example, your insurance provider will pay to have the car of the third party repaired or compensate for their medical costs.
  • TPO does not compensate you for any vehicle damage or personal injury costs.


  • Medium-level of cover.
  • Includes TPO.
  • Will only pay out if your vehicle is stolen or damaged by fire.
  • Won’t pay out for vehicle repair/replacement costs when involved in an accident.


  • Highest level of cover.
  • Includes TPO and TPFT.
  • Will compensate you for vehicle repair/replacement when involved in an accident even if you are at fault.
  • May include additional extras such as windscreen protection, key replacement, misfuelling cover and breakdown cover. Do confirm these finer details with your chosen insurance provider.

Note: Some insurers may offer a courier insurance package deal whereby they tailor policies to suit your needs.

What Add-Ons Are Available For Self-Employed Courier Insurance?

How Much Does Self-Employed Courier Insurance Cost?

How Can You Get Cheaper Insurance Rates?

How To Compare Self-Employed Courier Insurance Quotes With SimplyQuote?

Comparing shop insurance services with SimplyQuote is quick and hassle-free: 

  1. Fill in the short form with a few details about yourself, your vehicle and your courier business.
  2. Select the policy add-ons you want.
  3. Quickly compare quotes to find a quote suited to your budget and business needs.
  4. Save money with the best deal today.
Get Quotes

Frequently Asked Questions

What is self-employed courier insurance?

Self-employed courier insurance, often referred to as ‘hire and reward insurance’, is a specialised type of insurance designed for individuals who deliver goods for a living.

It covers the unique risks faced by couriers, such as accidents, vehicle damage and theft of goods in transit. This insurance is crucial for those transporting goods or passengers in exchange for payment, ensuring they are protected against common occupational hazards.

What delivery services accept self-employed couriers?

In the UK, a wide range of delivery services offer opportunities for self-employed couriers, each with its own unique focus and operational model. Well-known companies like Amazon Flex, Deliveroo, Uber Eats and Evri (previously Hermes) are popular choices. These platforms provide flexible working arrangements, allowing couriers to choose their schedules and delivery areas.

  • Amazon Flex and Evri (Hermes) are notable for their parcel delivery services. They offer couriers the chance to deliver a variety of packages, catering to a broad customer base.
  • Deliveroo, Uber Eats and Just Eat specialise in food delivery, connecting couriers with local restaurants to deliver meals to customers.
  • DPD and Yodel are renowned for their extensive parcel delivery services across the UK, handling a diverse range of delivery needs.
  • CitySprint focuses on same-day delivery services, ideal for urgent deliveries.
  • ParcelForce Worldwide extends its services to both national and international parcel delivery, offering a wider scope for courier routes.
  • Gophr is known for its flexible and local courier services, catering to more specific and community-based delivery needs.
Do self-employed couriers need a specific type of driving licence?

Self-employed couriers in the UK typically do not need a special driving licence for standard courier work using cars or small vans. A standard full UK driving licence is sufficient. However, if you plan to drive larger vehicles, you may need a licence that covers higher categories, like a Category C1 licence for vehicles weighing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.